Saturday, March 20, 2010

I didn't win Lotto

On Monday night I went to tennis, even though I really didn't want to. When I got back my depression seemed to vanish, as if someone had flicked a switch. This latest bout started very suddenly too, and that it ended just after bashing a few furry yellow objects might be a coindicence. But getting exercise when I'm depressed - which is of course when I least want to get exercise - doesn't do me any harm.

I had Italian on Tuesday. We've got a couple more people in the class, but I'm still the only person whose adjectives and past participles end in 'o' rather than 'a'. Despite being the only bloke there, or maybe because of it, I've found the course very enjoyable. Our teacher is superb.

On Wednesday - St Patrick's Day - I found out I didn't get the job. I wasn't disappointed at all; it was rather like finding out I hadn't just won Big Wednesday. When I spoke to Mum the next day, she was more disappointed than me. It's funny that in New Zealand anyone whose neighbour's flatmate's uncle's cat is half-Irish finds an excuse to get pissed on St Patrick's Day. I do have some Irishness in me - Mum was an O'Something and her family originates from Kerry - but it all pretty much passed me by.

The following day I helped out at the mental health centre with the mail-out of their quarterly newsletter. I liked that - it was good to feel I was doing something useful for someone else - and I've got Andy and Brendan to thank for picking me up and dropping me off.

Last night I went to the tennis club again, not to play but to watch. Belmont were playing Campbells Bay in the semi-finals of the Chelsea Cup. Our club had made quite an occasion of it all; I didn't realise it was such a big deal, but with top-ten players in the country on show, including a former number one, I probably should have done. The tennis was a joy to watch: one of the Belmont players put so much topspin on the ball that several times when I was convinced it was going long, it would dip onto the line at the last moment. Belmont were clear favourites going into the encounter but after the four singles matches it was locked up at 2-2 and the crowd - which was substantial - started getting nervous. The home side's two singles wins had been comfortable ones while both of Campbells Bay's victories were long three-setters, so Belmont just needed one of two doubles matches to advance to the final. When they took the first set in both matches, Belmont had one foot in the final, but half an hour later Campbells Bay had levelled the scores, and both games - simultaneously - entered a super tie-break. I think the whole concept of the super tie-break is flawed but the Belmont pairing of Mark Nielsen and Jackson Bodle handled the pressure admirably in winning their shoot-out 10-3. Campbells Bay won the other tie-break, 11-9, but it didn't matter. The final will be played at Albany next Friday. I met an actuary and some other people from the life insurance industry which, try as I might, I seem unable to completely leave behind.

I've had an exceptionally good week on PokerStars. Last Saturday my overall profit reached $200; yesterday it hit $300. There's no two ways about it - I've been running well. It's important to recognise this. Far too many people hit a purple patch at say 25c/50c, suddenly think they're Superman and jump into a $3/$6 game. Likewise it's important not to let your play be affected when the cards turn against you, which they did for me at the end of last month and will do again.

This afternoon I'll be attending the Asperger's group which I missed last month. Up to this point I've been pronouncing Asperger incorrectly, with a soft 'g'. It will be good to catch up with them again.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about every day, but I'll write what I can. Thanks a lot for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete