Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Heading back

I'll be flying out of the UK tomorrow. I've got mixed feelings about that. My gran is understandably upset that I'm leaving: she has no family to look after her. On the other hand it's damn near impossible to do anything with my gran about and I need to get on with my own life.

I've booked twelve nights in Bali to avoid the whole Thailand mess. As a kid we used to stop over in Bali on the way to and from New Zealand. I'd rate our '89 and '90 stopovers as the best holidays of my life, so I'm hoping this trip will bring back happy memories for me.

Last weekend I stayed in Birmingham (which is a million miles from Bali) and met up with some friends from university. One of my friends, the one I've been in touch with the most, was kind enough to put me up, or at least his parents were (he still lives with them). He qualified as an actuary in no time; he's an incredibly clever bloke whose knowledge extends to music and popular culture, not just academic stuff. I spent a few days in Italy with him in 2008. His mind worked at such terrific speed that I couldn't help but feel stupid most of the time. We spent some time on Saturday at the Lickey Hills, playing some weird batless version of cricket. One of the (many) great things about Birmingham is that you're never far from the countryside.

I don't know if I'll have much computer access in the next two weeks so this will likely be my last blog post for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment