Sunday, July 21, 2013

Too much excitement for one day

What a weird day. I slept really badly last night, then at 7:15 I was woken up by an earthquake I never thought would end. It must have lasted a minute but it felt more like a week. It was a 5.8. Then after yawning my way through all the necessary chores and grocery shopping, the big one hit as I was talking to Mum on the phone. I hit Mum with a barrage of expletives as the 6.5 quake ripped plaster off the walls outside my flat. I ran outside onto the street, still talking on the cordless phone. I've got a couple of cracks in my apartment around a beam. The aftershocks aren't helping and they're coming way too thick and way too fast. I can't imagine how I'll sleep tonight. Up until now I've been fairly blasé about earthquakes. They've been exciting more than anything. That's all changed today - these shakes are above my excitement threshold I'm afraid.

My brother is due to fly up to Wellington on Thursday. I'm really looking forward to seeing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment